Immaculate Conception Church
One-half mile north of the small settlement of Custer standing on the hillside is our Catholic Church dedicated to the Immaculate Conception of Mary, usually known at St. Mary’s, Custer.
The first Mass was celebrated in 1840 in the home of Owen Fehely. This home was on the north side of Highway 10 E across from the Weisbrot farm. First settlers were mostly Irish immigrants coming directly from Ireland. Some polish families had settled in and around Stevens Point but came in greater numbers in the 1860’s. The spiritual needs of the people were in the care of missionary priests, some coming from as far as Milwaukee.
In 1853, St. Stephen’s was established in Stevens Point and the people of Custer were visited quite regularly by the priest of the congregation.
In 1875 the church was built under the supervision of contractor Michael Herbert. Most of the work was done by the parishioners.
On November 16, 1875, the church was dedicated by Bishop F.X. Krautbauer of the Green Bay Diocese.
On January 7th, 1946 the parish was transferred to the LaCrosse Diocese.
Since that time, the parish has undergone many changes with a new front entrance, choir lift and bathrooms done in the 60’s. A new side addition was added in the 70’s.
The parish has an active Pastoral/Finance Council, as well as Sacred Worship, Education, Family Life and Social Justice Committees: which serve the parishioners in various needs.
During the 90’s many family activities were started by various parish committees, such as the coffee and doughnut social on Sundays once a month.
The parish also has many members who are active as Eucharistic Ministers, Servers, Lectors, Greeters, Ushers, Cantors and Music Ministers.
Through the past 142 years many changes have occurred but the Holy Spirit has remained an intimate part of the lives of the people of Immaculate Conception/St. Mary Parish, Custer.
1886-1890 Fr. Joseph Geisser
1890-1892 Fr. J.D. Schwartzmeyer
1892-1894 Fr. John Hummel
1894-1899 Fr. J.A. Bourgmeyer
1899-1905 Fr. E.P. Lorigan
1905-1908 Fr. E.A. Schwaeble
1908-1910 Fr. C. Ulrich
1910-1913 Fr. George Schemmer
1913-1919 Fr. Joseph Bartelme
1919-1923 Fr. Louis Schorn
1923-1927 Fr. Victor Kaude
1927-1929 Fr. H. Van deCastle
1929-1938 Fr. Joseph Schafer
1938-1945 Fr. Harry Schuller
1945-1950 Fr. James Geyer
1950-1962 Fr. Emil Hodnik
1962-1968 Fr. Bernard Novak
1968-1969 Fr. Andrzewski
1969-1970 Fr. Ray Peters
1970-1972 Fr. Paul Fladd
1972-1980 Fr. John Wisneski
1980-1987 Fr. Dan Kozlowski
1987-1989 Fr. Herb Zoromski
1987-1992 Deacon Florian Hurrish 1989-1995 Fr. Al Wozniak
1992-2000 Sister Annette Marie Johnson
1995-1996 Fr. Lyle Schulte
1995-1997 Fr. Steve Kachel Associate Pastor
1996-1997 Fr. Joseph Konopacky
1997-1999 Fr. Steve Kachel
1999-2003 Deacon Art Schaller
1999-2000 Fr. Robert Schaller
2000-2003 Chris Burr Pastoral Assoc.
2002-2006 Fr. Sotico Florida
2006-2009 Fr. George Thayilkuzhithottu
2009-2012 Fr. Rajen Anandan
2012-2015 Fr. Jude Dioka
2015-2016 Fr. Daniel Hackel
2016-present Fr. Gregory Machaud